The New Zealand Resuscitation Council (we, us, our) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person). This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect personal information. This policy does not limit or exclude any rights under the Act. To seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
2. Changes to this Policy
We may change this policy and any revised policy will be uploaded onto our website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy. This policy was last updated on 3 February 2021.
3. Who do we collect personal information from?
We collect personal information from:
• an individual, when personal information is provided to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), or when an individual buys or uses our services and products
• third parties where they have been authorised to do this or the information is publicly available. If possible, we will collect personal information from an individual directly.
4. How do we use personal information?
We will use personal information:
• to verify identity
• to provide services and products
• to market our services and products, including contacting an individual electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
• to improve the services and products that we provide
• to undertake credit checks (if necessary)
• to invoice and to collect money that is owed us, including authorising and processing credit card transactions
• to respond to communications, including a complaint
• to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis)
• to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
• for any other purpose authorised by the individual or the Act.
5. Disclosing your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to:
• any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products
• a credit reference agency for the purpose of credit checking you
• other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
• a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
• any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
• any other person authorised by you. A business that supports our services and products may be located outside New Zealand. This may mean your personal information is held and processed outside New Zealand.
6. Protecting personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
7. Accessing and correcting personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, individuals have the right to access readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to that personal information.
Before actioning any request for a correction, we will seek and confirm evidence to ensure the identity of the individual making the request is the person to whom the personal information relates. In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that a request for correction has been made.
To exercise either of the above rights, individuals may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . The email should provide evidence of who the individual is and set out the details of their request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that is being requested).
We may charge our reasonable costs of providing copies of personal information or correcting that information.
8. Internet use
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if we are provided with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at the risk of the individual who provides it.
9. Contacting us