Newborn Life Support Instructor Training
The NZ Resuscitation Council Newborn Life Support (NLS) Advanced Instructor Course trains health professionals to deliver our NLS programmes.
The NLS Advanced Instructor Course is a two-day course offered at NLS Advanced only. NLS Advanced instructors are also able to instruct NLS Immediate and NLS Skills.
To qualify for entry candidates must:
- be a New Zealand registered health professional
- have a current NLS Advanced Provider course certificate (less than 12 months old) at the time of attending the NLS Advanced Instructor course
- be recommended by the course director who delivered the candidate's NLS Advanced provider course within four weeks of their attending that provider course
- have observed another NLS Advanced provider course within the previous six months at the time of attending the Instructor course
- intend to be actively involved in teaching the NZ Resuscitation Council NLS provider course.
- be committed to meeting the ongoing requirements of being a NZ Resuscitation Council NLS Advanced instructor.
The process for nomination onto a NLS Advanced Instructor Course is as follows. Course bookings are accepted only when this process has been completed.
- A Course Director may nominate a candidate for attendance at an instructor course following the candidate’s successful completion of a NLS Advanced provider course.
- A NLS Instructor online nomination must be completed and submitted by the Course Director who delivered the candidate’s provider course.
- The nomination must be submitted within four weeks of the candidate’s successful completion of the provider course.
- The candidate will be asked to complete an online confirmation.
- Once the nomination is approved the candidate may then register for the next available NLS Advanced Instructor course. They will be required to observe a further NLS provider course prior to the Instructor weekend. The candidate's attendance must be confirmed by the Course Director submitting an online confirmation of observer attendance.
The NLS Advanced Instructor Course is being held for the rest of 2023 at the Education Centre at Palmerston North Hospital.
Two days, from 8am until 5pm. All candidates must attend both days.
Ready to Book?
If you have completed your provider course, been nominated to become an instructor and have been advised by the Resuscitation Council, click the link below to book on an instructor course.
Please note: If you do not meet the entry criteria for this course, the New Zealand Resuscitation Council may cancel your booking.
To see course dates and to book click here.
The fee for the NLS Instructor Course is $1,495.00 (exc. GST). This includes all course material; morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea; certification and a copy of Newborn Life Support Certification - a Guide to the Curriculum for Instructors (1st Ed) which will couriered out after completion of the instructor course.
Payment is due on receipt of invoice, in accordance with our Terms and Conditions.
Attendance does not guarantee a candidate being offered certification as an NLS Instructor. Candidates are assessed throughout the course on their theoretical knowledge of resuscitation, attitude towards teaching, interest in resuscitation, confidence and abilities as a teacher, and support of the New Zealand Resuscitation Council’s educational philosophy.
After the Course
All candidates will be notified of their results within one week of completing the course and will be asked to acknowledge the Instructor Code of Conduct. The NZ Resuscitation Council will then issue the candidate with their Instructor Certificate, and the candidate will be recognised as a NLS Instructor.
This is laid out step by step in the Pathway to NLS Instructor Status.
New instructors are required to meet the ongoing requirements of being a NLS Advanced Instructor. During their first year as a NLS instructor, candidates cannot fulfil the role of a NLS Course Director.
Candidates who are unsuccessful may be invited to register for a future course, and will again be required to pay full course fees.
Please contact us for further information.