Newborn Life Support Instructor Training
The NZ Resuscitation Council Newborn Life Support (NLS) Instructor Course trains health professionals to deliver our NLS program.
To qualify for entry candidates must:
- be a New Zealand registered health professional
- have a current NLS Advanced Provider course certificate (less than 12 months old) at the time of attending the NLS Advanced Instructor course
- be recommended by the course director who delivered the candidate's NLS Advanced provider course within four weeks of their attending that provider course
- bave observed another NLS Advanced provider course within the previous six months at the time of attending the Instructor course
- intend to be actively involved in teaching the NZ Resuscitation Council NLS provider course.
- be committed to meeting the ongoing requirements of being a NZ Resuscitation Council NLS instructor.
The process for nomination onto a NLS Advanced Instructor Course is as follows. Course bookings are accepted only when this process has been completed.
- A Course Director may nominate a candidate for attendance at an instructor course following the candidate’s successful completion of a NLS Advanced provider course.
- A NLS Instructor online nomination must be completed and submitted by the Course Director who delivered the candidate’s provider course.
- The nomination must be submitted within four weeks of the candidate’s successful completion of the provider course.
- The candidate will be asked to complete an online confirmation.
- Once the nomination is approved the candidate may then register for the next available NLS Advanced Instructor course. They will be required to observe a further NLS provider course prior to the Instructor weekend. The candidate's attendance must be confirmed by the Course Director submitting an online confirmation of observer attendance.
Waikato Clinical Skills and Simulation Centre, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton (see map).
Two days, from 8am until 5pm. All candidates must attend both days.
2-3 July 2022
29-30 October 2022
The fee for the NLS Instructor Course is $1,300.00 (exc. GST). This includes all course material; morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea; and certification.
Payment is due on receipt of invoice, in accordance with our Terms and Conditions.
Attendance does not guarantee a candidate being offered certification as an NLS Instructor. Candidates are assessed throughout the course on their theoretical knowledge of resuscitation, attitude towards teaching, interest in resuscitation, confidence and abilities as a teacher, and support of the New Zealand Resuscitation Council’s educational philosophy.
After the Course
All candidates will be notified of their results within one week of completing the course and will be asked to acknowledge the Instructor Code of Conduct. The NZ Resuscitation Council will then issue the candidate with their Instructor Certificate, and the candidate will be recognised as a NLS Instructor.
This is laid out step by step in the Pathway to NLS Instructor Status.
New instructors are required to meet the ongoing requirements of being a NLS Advanced Instructor. During their first year as a NLS instructor, candidates cannot fulfil the role of a NLS Course Director.
Candidates who are unsuccessful may be invited to register for a future course, and will again be required to pay full course fees.
Please contact us for further information.